This board is closed

Please see www.tinn.com
Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Community Board
 
 
 


Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.


Reply
  Author   Comment  
DrChip
 #1 
started racing go karts in 1958, returned in 1988, and raced again yesterday (2008)..

and won my class!

My tinnitus is due to noise exposure, particularly gun fire and motorcycles/go karts when I was younger.

I am happy to say that the tracks now require mufflers for both adult AND kid karts: MUCH quieter than in the old days.

And I am a continual advocate for hearing protection, offering FREE ear plugs for anyoone who wants them!

Anyway, went racing and won!  Old guys rule!!!!!!!  cb
DrNagler
 #2 
Chip posted:

Anyway, went racing and won!

..........

Contratulations! 

...........

Old guys rule!!!!!!!

...........

Chip, we're not old guys.  We're young guys ... trapped in old guys' bodies!

smn
crestline
 #3 
In the early 70's I took flying lessons.. Back then there were no headsets. The roar of the engine and the wind and the instructor screaming to you for instruction.. We were sure knuckle heads not knowing the dangers of high decibel noise.. But nobody thought about Tinnitus or ear damage then..Today we wear headsets and when I take them off for an instant, I can't believe the noise exposure we were exposed to then. But that was not the only things: chainsaws, carpentry, music over a headset to name a few. I remember buying cherry bombs and M80s fireworks and setting them off without any idea of noise exposure.. Now they are outlawed but not from the noise they produced ,but the blowing off someones hand with them.
Anyways like you Dr. Chip, live and learn as with your go karts and other experiences..
Tman
 #4 
Dr. Nagler posted: Chip, we're not old guys.  We're young guys ... trapped in old guys' bodies!
 
-----------
 
Let's make a key, Doc, and bust out of 'em!
 
 

 



DrChip
 #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman
Dr. Nagler posted: Chip, we're not old guys.  We're young guys ... trapped in old guys' bodies!
 
-----------
 
Let's make a key, Doc, and bust out of 'em!


Actually, these are the best times of my life!!!  I am more comfortable with my private and public lives than anytime before.

Satchel Page once said: "How old would we be if we did not know how old we were".

Carpe Diem all.  cb
 
 

 



Maccy
 #6 
Good for you Dr. Chip !!

After all age is nothing but a number. I feel 22 inside,  sometimes act 7 and unfortunately look about 86 on a good day !!!! HA HA

Seriously though, it just goes to show that we can still enjoy and have a wonderful time and not let the dreaded T take over.

May I ask while we are here....were you at all worried about doing this knowing the levels of noise etc. Or were you so totally prepared (Ear protection etc) that you never gave your T a moments thought?

The reason I ask is because an awaful lot of people who are struggling with their T will stop doing a lot of the things they really enjoy. Myself included until I decided NO enough is enough. Once we get back into the activities that are enjoyable I think the T fades into the background. I know from personal experience that this is the case for me. When totally absorbed on something I enjoy I don't hear the T or give it a moments thought.

Mandy


DrChip
 #7 
just about any ear protection will lower noise well below dangerous levels.  I have forgotten ear plugs when I went to certain car races, and was to cheap (Dr. Cheap) to buy a $2 pair of ear plugs.

SO I just used free napkins, wetted them a bit, and "molded them".  Looked goofy, worked well.

Most any plugs will give you 30 db of protection, and maybe a little more (33- pos 35dB).

Now remember, of  the people who regularly experience Tinnitus, 80% do not suffer from it (the other 20% do).  I am in the 80%.  Did I treat myself: no.  Not sure why T does not other me, but does not.

I think being ready for the loud noise (NOT every day noise) helps take control of it.  cb
aQuieterBreeze
 #8 
Dr. Chip -

May you always be young at heart-
and that goes for everyone else here too

you said-
Satchel Page once said: "How old would we be if we did not know how old we were".

Carpe Diem all.  cb

 
 Some really nice thoughts! Thanks for sharing them.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

DISCLAIMER:  This board is for the purpose of education, discussion, and support.  Information found here should not substitute for appropriate consultations with qualified medical professionals.  Participants are responsible for securing consent for posting copyrighted material.  By using this board, participants agree to hold the owner of the board, its moderators, and all other participants harmless with respect to any loss, injury, claim, liability or damages arising from the use of material found on this site or on any third-party web sites accessed through links on this board.